Pancakes are an inexpensive way to feed a lot of hungry people in a hurry. As of June 2022, purchasing 10-pound bags of complete buttermilk pancake mix and big box stores enables you to make 4-inch pancakes for only 3 cents each. We discovered that you can make a better mix from scratch for slightly more money.
This recipe comes from a Make-A-Mix Cookery book published in 1978. You may be able to find this book on Amazon. I love all of the wonderful basic recipes that this book makes possible. I was gifted mine from my grandmother.
Don’t limit yourself to simply serving pancakes for breakfast in the morning. With a little bit of creativity, you can serve all kinds of delightful pancake combinations! These are just a few ideas to get you excited about pancakes.
- Apples with cinnamon
- Corn pancakes (add part cornmeal or canned creamed corn)
- Pumpkin chocolate chip
- Pumpkin spice (replace with squash from the garden)
- Chocolate pancakes
- Oatmeal chocolate chip
- Cranberry orange pancakes
- Banana Oat pancakes
- Strawberry pancakes
- Zucchini pancakes (Cinnamon, zucchini, walnuts, dried fruit)
- Zucchini chocolate chip
- Lemon raspberry
- Lemon poppyseed
- Chocolate chip pancakes
- Sweet potato pancakes
- Parmesan and herb pancakes – parmesan cheese, chives, thyme, garlic, black pepper
- Spinach, bacon, cheddar cheese pancakes
- Feta and Chive pancakes
Toppings add another delightful dimension to traditional pancakes.
- Fresh berries
- Brown sugar syrup – ½ cup brown sugar and ½ cup water – stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved (1-2 minutes) cool to room temperature.
- Preserve syrup – mix jam, jelly, marmalade, or preserves with a little bit of water and whisk over medium heat until the right consistency.
- Homemade maple syrup – 2 cups granulated sugar and 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup honey or corn syrup, 1 ½ cups hot water – boil over medium heat and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes then add 1 teaspoon maple extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Orange sugar syrup – 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, peels from 4 oranges with white pith removed. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. The mixture thickens as it cools. (add a pinch of salt, pinch of cinnamon, and ¼ tsp vanilla for added flavor)
- Buttermilk syrup – Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 cube butter, and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Absolutely delicious! Serve hot!
- Powdered sugar and syrup
- Peanut butter and bananas
- Bacon bits and syrup
- Sausage gravy
- Chocolate chips
- Pie filling (thicken cooked fruit with cornstarch or tapioca flour)
- Chocolate syrup
- Strawberries and cream
- Pineapple with syrup
- (Churro) Cinnamon and sugar with chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream and sprinkles
Leftover pancakes are ideal for lunch and snacks
- Roll with cinnamon and sugar
- Roll with chocolate frosting or Nutella
- Roll with jams or jellies
- Use for sandwich bread
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Makes about 13 cups.